BIRD OF THE WEEK / WEEK 9: February 26, 2018
© Liron Gertsman
40-52 cm length | 77 cm wingspan | 850-1100 gm weight
A large sea duck with a very large, bulbous bill.
The adult male is all black with a white oval on the back of the neck, a white spot on the forehead, whitish irises, orange legs and a multi-coloured bill of yellow, red and white. The female is brown with white patches on the face.
Habitat / Behaviour
Molluscivore | Coast, lakes
Their diet consists primarily of crustaceans and molluscs.
Monogamous | Ground nester | 5-9 eggs
- Surf Scoter Pair
- A Surf Scoter Eats a Clam
- Porteau Cover Surf Scoters
- A Raft of Surf Scoters
- Call of the Flock
- Get the Vancouver bird checklist on the web or on your iPhone
- 10 Simple Birding Tips
- Check out the International Ornithological Congress
- What else is going on for the Vancouver International Bird Festival?